Grilled Beets in Rosemary Vinegar
From the Farm at Stonybrook
Beets take well to a variety of different cooking methods, from boiling or steaming, to roasting, to baking into a cake. What most have in common is a period of moist cooking, which allows the beets to cook through without becoming dry around the edges. This is no exception, using a tightly sealed package to retain the beets' moisture and the marinade's flavors, then adding an extra twist by finishing directly over the heat.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ tsp. Herbes de Provence
- 3 medium beets, peeled and sliced into rounds
- Salt, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, rosemary, garlic, and Herbes de Provence. Add the beets, and marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to high heat, and lightly oil the grate. Wrap the beets and their marinade tightly in a large piece of foil, and place the packet on the grill. Cook 25 minutes, or until the beets are tender. Remove the beets from the packet, and finish cooking directly on the grill grate, 2 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.